The nose is the centerpiece of the face, the most exposed and visible part of our body. If it does not harmonize with the rest of our facial features, if it is disproportionate or deformed, this may become a major issue in our lives. Even a minor defect can sometimes be the only thing we see when we look in the mirror, and this can negatively affect our self-confidence and self-esteem. For many, plastic surgery is the solution.
With Nose Surgery– also called Rhinoplasty – Dr. Bernier can harmonize the nose with the rest of the facial features. Rhinoplasty can be performed once bone growth in the nose has ceased, usually towards the end of adolescence. It can be performed for reconstructive purposes or to correct breathing problems.
Cosmetic and Physiological Impact
The nose is a unique organ with many functions and a unique structure. Anatomically, it is made of bone, cartilage, mucous membrane and skin.
Can character and personality be judged by a nose? Many would say yes. If a nose flatters the face, it can signify beauty, sensuality or authority. However, if it is disproportionate or deformed, it can evoke a feeling of distaste, ridicule or even ugliness.
Rhinoplasty can correct most cosmetic problems of the nose :
- Nose too large or too small in proportion to the face
- Hump visible from profile
- Tip too long or too short
- Nostrils too large
- Angle of nose too high (turned up) or too low (beaked)
The nose is above all a functional organ. Physiologically, it is used for breathing and smelling. Performing a rhinoplasty can correct most breathing problems.
Nasal obstruction can result from :
- Deviated septum (wall separating nostrils and the inside of the nose)
- Hypertrophy of inferior nasal concha (fibromucous structure of nasal fossae too thick)
- Obstruction of internal or external valve
- Benign or malignant tumour
The Importance of Expertise
An examination of the face and nose is necessary for an exact evaluation of surgical possibilities. Many factors come into play when determining the most appropriate surgical technique. Among these :
- Structure of nasal bones and cartilage
- Shape of face
- Delicacy of skin
- Character, personality and gender
- Ethnic group
Given the expert skills required when remodelling such a small organ, rhinoplasty is rightly considered one of the most intricate of aesthetic surgical procedures.
Rhinoplasty can be performed in two different ways, either from inside the nose (endonasal) or from outside approach.
- Incisions made inside nostrils
- Incisions made inside nostrils + one small incision at base of nose between nostrils (columella)
- Slightly deviated septum
- Deformation of nose * Nasal partition
- Heavily deviated septum
- Congenital deformity
- Deformity of nasal tip
- Secondary surgery for endonasal rhinoplasty
- Precision surgery
- Good visualization of septonasal deviation
- Cartilaginous grafts easily put into place
- Better control over placement of nasal tip cartilage with sutures
- Poor visualization of septonasal deviation
- Cartilaginous grafts not easily put into place
- Lack of control over placement of nasal tip cartilage
- Scar at columella (5 mm long, almost invisible)
- Prolonged edema
Blepharoplasty (eyelids surgery)
Clinical and surgical fees (1h45 to 3 hours surgery), postoperative follow-ups. Sale taxes non-included. *Only a medical evaluation with Dr Bernier can determine if you are an ideal candidate for the surgery. **Price may vary, a medical evaluation with Dr Bernier is required.
Clinical and surgical fees (2 hours surgery), postoperative follow-ups. Sale taxes non-included. *Only a medical evaluation with Dr Bernier can determine if you are an ideal candidate for the surgery. **Price may vary, a medical evaluation with Dr Bernier is required.